Click on Any Photo - please allow time for the images to load.
The Avro Lancaster
The Lancaster heavy bomber produced by the Avro company was one of the finest weapons to enter large-scale production and service during World War 2. And has become the one bomber most associated with the the county of Lincolnshire.
Max Speed 275MPH
7377 Lancaster were built during the 2nd World War. Only 2 currently remain airworthy.
PA474 wearing the 50 Squadron code letters ‘VN-T’ on the starboard side representing Lancaster LL922 in which Flying Officer ‘Dougy’ Millikin and his wireless operator John Tait, who is still alive, flew 33 operations together. The starboard side of the Lancaster’s nose retains the coat of arms and name of The City of Lincoln.
A long, unobstructed bomb bay meant that the Lancaster could take the largest bombs used by the RAF, including the 4,000 lb (1,800 kg), 8,000 lb (3,600 kg) and 12,000 lb (5,400 kg) blockbusters.
The Lancaster was modified to carry the "Bouncing bomb" designed by Barnes Wallis for Operation Chastise, the attack on German Ruhr valley dams by 617 Squadron. Although the Lancaster was primarily a night bomber, it excelled in many other roles, including daylight precision bombing.
Lancaster PA474 representing Lancaster BIII W5005 ‘AR-L’ “Leader” of 460 (Royal Australian Air Force) Squadron, with its nose art of a kangaroo in wellington boots playing bagpipes reflecting the mixed nationalities of the crew: Scottish, Welsh and Australian. The ‘bomb log’ on the nose will show a ‘snapshot in time’ at the point just after the 30th successful operation flown by W5005, to Munich on 6th September 1943. W5005 eventually completed 94 operations before ditching in the Humber on 27th August 1944, after having been transferred to 550 Squadron.